Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Remembering May 13

I was in Standard Five when this happened. We were in a kampong in Melaka, basically nothing eventful ever happens there. So, 13th May was an "event" for everyone. Not that it affected us directly.

I was maybe too young to remember many things but I remembered that we do not have to go to school. And the adult folks were saying something that the Chinese were getting too much and need to be taught a lesson. But the few (less than 10) Chinese families in the kampong have nothing to worry as they have been accepted as part of our community. They were all safe but I'm sure they must have been very worried.

I also remembered that we had to "mandi minyak" (oil bath??) to give us special powers in case we are attacked. Up to this day I still wonder how we can take an oil bath which is boiling, or was it an illusion?. After that we kids felt so powerful that we started fighting among us.

We were informed about the curfew by policemen in their patrol cars using hailers. A lot of the kampong folks simply ignored the directive to stay indoors after dark.

So what happened then? I think it is about time all Malaysians know the truth so that we can move on with our nation building. Lets settle this once and for all. There are definitely some lessons to be learnt from this painful episode of our nation. Let not it be exploited by some selfish few for their benefits.

Personally,I do not think there will be a repeat of May 13. The country simply cannot afford it. Moreover, the masses are now more informed. The prospect of them being taken for a painful ride is much less than 40 years ago. But lets not take any chances and work towards a more united Malaysia.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was in standard 6 and remembered that at both ends of our road, barbed wires had been placed and guarded by Iban Police personnel. We lived close to Georgetown, Penang where i later found out that racial skirmishes had broken out. However the street I lived on which had probably a 30%/70% Malay/Chinese makeup was peaceful. In fact in the daytime, when curfew was not imposed, my friends(including my neighbour Ah Chye and his brother whose name i can't remember) and I raced down on our bikes from one end of the street to the other with the police folks watching.Anyway, i agree that i dont think another may 13 is going to happen even though our politicians keep using this scare tactic.

Class Monitor said...

Abe Hussien,

Permission,saya linkkan ya !
jangan marah....ya.