Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Myth of Special Malay Privileges

Since Independence in 1957 but more so since he inception of the New Economic Policy (NEP) in 1970, the issue of Special Malay Rights have been a hot topic of discussion. It attracts the attention of so many people, both the Malays (who are supposed to be the recipients of the rights) and the non-Malays (who are supposed to be discriminated against) love talking about it. However, the government of the day has found it convenient to disallow any open discussion on the subject. As such, the real issues never see the light of day. In their places, there have been assumptions, presumptions, myths and sometimes blatant lies being bandied around.

Before I continue any further let me put the record straight. As far as I can recall I'm a beneficiary of this rights on 3 occasions. First, when I was given a Federal Minor scholarship to study in an English secondary school without having to pay the RM9 monthly fee. Second, when I was offered a scholarship to study overseas by MARA (which I had to repay part of it) and third was when I bought a house in late 80s and got 7% Bumiputra discount.

I offer no apologies for getting the scholarships as I came from a poor family. My father was a policeman in Singapore earning about $400 per month and I lived with my grandfather who toils his 3-acre rubber plantation and I have 8 other siblings. I went to a High School where Malays represent about 30% of the students population and from Form 1 to Form 5, I was always in the best class out of about 8-10 classes per form. I graduated among the top 3% of the graduating class from a university in USA. I will be forever thankful for being given the scholarship by the government failing which I think I would not have been able to afford to pursue my tertiary education.

After working for almost 30 years, dutifully contributing to the growth of the country either through my work or my taxes, how come I'm feeling so disillusioned? When the topic of Special Malay Rights is brought up, how come I'm the one feeling guilty as though I'm part of the group that is monopolizing the wealth of the country at the expense of other deserving citizens just because they are not of the same race as me? And I have many more questions.

>How come I did not get any Bumi shares when I know a few people who repeatedly got them and sold them off after a few months? In fact, I have not even got hold of the famous "pink forms"
>How come I did not get any APs to import cars when some people can have thousands?
>How come I did not receive grants to start a business when I have an Honors degree in Finance when some Malays who knows next to nothing about business get millions but still fail in their business?
>How come I was not given any "direct nego" contracts when I tried going into business a few years ago?
>How come I did not get any "easy" loan from Bank Bumiputra which I heard was the cause of it having to be rescued a few times? The one time I stood guarantee for a friend to buy a lorry to start his business but was unable to pay, I was harrassed by the bank until they put my name in CTOS making it impossible for me to apply for loan even though I'm now paying more than RM2k in income taxes monthly?
>How come there are so many Malays in the villages that are still living in poverty? If you do not believe me, watch the TV program, "Bersama Mu"

There are many more "how comes" that I can come up with but the above should suffice. Frankly, I'm not too concerned about not getting the so-called Malay privileges. By the Grace of God, I think I can now survive in this world on my own accord. After all, I do not need more than 2 cars, more than one terraced house, an overseas holidays every year, etc. So, I am quite contented. But what I cannot stomach is every time the subject of special Malay privileges is brought up I'm looked at as being a beneficiary just because I'm a Malay, a Bumiputra. A non-Malay friend of mine can say that "you Melayu senang lah". My friend, let me tell you the truth, I'm not the Melayu that had it easy. There maybe some Melayus that fall into the category but certainly not me. So, please don't look at me as one of those that had deprived you of your rights. When I get a promotion, it is as though I got it because the company has to promote a Malay not because I have done a good job. Just imagine this, when I do well, it is BECAUSE I am a Malay but when a non-Malay does well he did it DESPITE being non-Malay. How can we continue living like this?

Can we just stop all these crap about special Malay privileges and put in place special privileges for the poor? I'm very sure if we do this, out of the 100 poor people we help, 70% would be Malays the balance will be other races. At least nobody would begrudge us for helping the poor Malays and not the multimillionaire Malays just because they are Malays. Maybe then, nobody can look at me and think that I'm able to get this far just because I'm a Malay.

Before anybody accuse me of being ungrateful for the special Malay privilege that I got before, let me reiterate here that I'm so thankful for it and I thank the government then that helped people like me. But just a reminder, I was so sure that I deserve the help. My parents were poor and I was qualified, so I'm not at all ashamed. In fact those days, the country is not even rich. Oil has not been discovered yet in the country but the leaders then had the vision to help us by giving us the opportunity through education.

I can go on and on but.... it is sickening, Can't we do something? I'm sure we can.

10 comments:

The Ancient Mariner said...

Dear HBO,

Quite simply, you are not an UMNO-putra, which is why you are not so privileged. I suppose now you know what to do on 8 March.

Pak Zawi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pak Zawi said...

Hussin,
Well said. I agree with you the so called Malay Privileges pertaining to economy should be withdrawn. It will always remain to be the bone of contention and the most divisive factor in closing the racial divide. As you suggested right, in its place put in the Poor's Privileges.
I have just been given the list of recent projects (completed or under construction) awarded to Pasir Mas UMNO Youth Head. That illustrates what Captain pointed out you that you have to be an UMNOputra to benefit from it and the best thing to be now is UMNO Youth Head of Division. Why? Because the National Deputy Youth Head holds all the projects in RM9.

Hussin said...

Dear Capt. and Sdra Zawi,

Thanks for visiting. Have a good week and may we have a good week end too.

Sallam

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Unknown said...

If every malays in Malaysia are thinking like you, Malaysia would have already an advance country. All the non-malays want is just being treated fairly as a citizen, not priviledge.

Anonymous said...

Now suprax Get hytrin Now sustiva Free pills prevacid Cheap deltasone World delivery omnicef

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

the problem is not about malay or non-malay, is the one that on the top, a good government makes good country. since indepedency, i didnt see any able person that think for malaysia as a whole and do something.

i think there will be much more malays have the same thinking as you. maybe you all can do something more, blogging might not enough.

honestly, i like malay, there is nothing wrong with malay
what i dont like is government or people that abusing their power

Anonymous said...

You are definitely not the majority of Malays. There are sooo many privileges you enjoy for you race. On every aspect of business in Malaysia, Malays are given special accords.
It has made your race dare I say very lazy. I see this every day, day in, day out. The government has given your race far too much so the majority of your race take it for granted, while the Chinese and Indians pay 80% of the government taxes in the country !
Foreign investors shy away as they have quotas that they HAVE to employ a certain amount of Malays.
Priviledge should be given to the poor, irrespective of RACE ! What about 1Malaysia... ?