Friday, April 18, 2008

Old Folks do not blog

I was on the phone with my son who is currently studying in Monash University recently. He said his friends just found out about my blog and they were surprised. I asked him what is there to be surprised about. Oh..they thought only the young write blogs.

Do I have news to these friends of my son. They must have been really busy studying for their exams that they do not have time to web hunt. There are many senior bloggers who have religiously managed to keep writing and updating their blogs. I can name a few of them very easily. Pak Idrus and Pak Zawi immediately come to my mind. Of course there are some ex-journalists like Dato' AKJ who blogs consistently but writers can't stop writing or else they will go crazy. But I'm talking about non-writers who suddenly found their penchant for writing through blogs at a late age in life, mostly after they retired.

As for me, I would just like to record the pertinent events in my life for posterity. Of course, there have been many interesting events lately but I've not been writing 'cos I've been too busy reading.

Anyway, I'm not as old as these people. I'm not a retiree yet. But more importantly, I do not consider myself anywhere to being old. So my son and his friends better stop thinking that I'm old.

A word of advise to my son and his friends: you all better start blogging from now. Do not wait until you are old.

5 comments:

Pak Zawi said...

HBO,
I am most honoured to be mentioned alongside established blogger like Pak Idrus. He had been blogging long before me. So are our other friends like Pak Adib, Pokku and several others.
Its the latent desire within us to write especially in English which is a language that can transcend far greater reach than our own mother tounge. After sometimes we develop friendship with many people all over the world who appreciate whaever little mundane things we wrote on our blogsite. That is all the excuse we need to carry on blogging.
Thank you for mentioning mein your blog. I will alert Pak Idrus to this post of yours.

Pak Idrus said...

Hi there young man!, I believe I have the right to address you as a young man. Its great to get old and I am enjoying it.Thanks for mentioning me in this posting. I was alerted by Zawi. Indeed an honor.

I am a person that just could not stop thinking, so I blog. What better way to give back to the society then by sharing my thoughts. People in their golden age got much to contributes so I think the more senior blogs the better it is for the society.

Have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum

Ouch! That hurts. I can't help but feel that people who read your blog might think of my friends and I as shallow and small-minded. That might not be the case, though. Nevertheless, I feel the need to rectify what has been said. When I first came across this blog, I was surprised but it made sense to me, because I know who you are and what you're capable of. To be honest, my friends and I do read blogs and most of us have personal blogs themselves. I did not mean to say that 'old' people should not blog. Of course they should if they have something worthwhile to share with the world. :-)

p/s: 'old' can be such a negative word. However, I think it is pertinent to remember that regardless of age, whether we feel we're young or old, Allah can take our fragile life any second He demands it.

May His blessings be with us all, bloggers or not... :)

Hussin said...

Pak Zawi and Pak Idrus,

It is indeed an honour to receive your visits. Such wise comments will definitely motivate me to write more but my daily chores of trying to earn a living may not present me with such luxury. But try I will.

Thanks for the visit abangs.

Hussin said...

My son,

No offence intended to your friends. If what I have seen of them is any indication, I know they have developed into fine young men. Too bad I'm not able to gauge any young women among them :-)

I know you did not mean that the old should not blog. But I was just trying to provoke the young into responding. It is good that they blog because, to me, it is one of the purest form of sharing one's thoughts. I like to "read" the thoughts of the young to enable me to better appreciate their point of views.

You are of course absolutely right about age being a non-issue with the Almighty.

Take care and May all of us always be in His Blessings.