Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Continuosly Opposing

On my way to the office today I chanced upon hearing the live broadcast of the Parliamentary sitting over the radio. I may not be in the best position to pass comments as I only heard a portion of what was going on but the little that I heard does not please me one bit.

Ipoh Timur was "busy" going against the new Speaker and the rest of the herd (both BN and PR, I'm sure) were busy heckling everyone else on the opposite side. From what little that I can make out, they were busy talking about Point of Order. I know it is important to do things according to the book but lets get down to "doing the right thing instead of just doing things right". There are so many questions from the MPs (despite the fact that some MPs find it fit not to submit any question) that need to be answered that time wasting should be the last in everyone's mind. But no, they have to "put their foot down" on doing things right and show to the world that we have a "First Class Parliament".

Maybe we should blame the fact that the session was being telecast live over TV and radio and everyone want to score points. Even the sole (I maybe wrong here as they could be other independent MP) Independent MP managed to say something stupid just to make sure that his name will make it into tomorrow's papers. Seemingly, it doesn't matter if he was reported in a bad light as long as his voters know that he was in Parliament making his presence felt.

Maybe some MPs from the PR stable have been in the Opposition for so long that they forgot that they are actually the "government in waiting" (at least that is what they claimed to be). They also forgot that there are now 82 of them now and they cannot monopolise the question time just because they have been in Parliament for so long (some of them in fact have been in parliament since 1969, that is almost 40 years ago). I read an article recently about the Jurassic BN MPs but I feel some in PR are equally, if not more, Jurassic.

I would like to humbly suggest to the PR MPs to show some good examples and act like they are really worthy of being called YBs despite the fact that the Speaker maybe biased and the BN MPs are acting like street bullies. I would also like to suggest that PR give more opportunities to their newer MPs to show their capabilities instead of the MPs who have been in the limelight all these years. The senior PR MPs can act as advisors and chip in as and when necessary.

I know I maybe asking for too much but as they say there is no harm in asking. The worse I will get is they will say no. So what?

No comments: