Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Kak Long's Birthday

Today is Nurlina's, my eldest daughter, birthday. I still remember my anxiety more than 20 years ago when she was about to be born. She was our first baby and being ignorant, both me and my wife were a total wreck. My wife started having pains on 30th August. Not wanting to take any chances I sent her to University Hospital. My father in law who was an ex-Director of the hospital insisted that our first 2 children be born in the hospital. "In case of any complications, that is the best hospital to be in", he had said many times and I'm in no position to say otherwise.


I sent my wife and using the excuse that nobody was allowed to be in the room, I waited in my in-laws, a few minutes drive away. Even if I had been allowed to be with my wife, I doubt I would have the courage to go through my wife's ordeal. My father-in law also insisted that my wife be tended to by his good friend, a professor who has long stopped delivering babies. On Merdeka day I visited my wife and had a word with a doctor who had been instructed by the professor to look after my wife. "Had it been me, I would have asked both of you to watch the Merdeka parade today", the junior doctor told me.

On 1st September my first child still refused to step into this world. That night the doctors decided to induce the birth. The first attempt failed and they had to do it again. If the second attempt failed too, my wife would have to be operated on or else there is a possibility that the child would drown. I was real worried but finally she decided to join us on 2nd September.

Being the first child, Nurlina, was of course quiet pampered but she was also our subject of experiments as many a time we were clueless as to how to look after her. The fact that both me and my wife were motherless made it more challenging for us. But ALhamdullillah, somehow we managed and she is now a full grown working adult. Of course, there are many stories that I can write about her but I will keep that in future years, God Willing.

Happy birthday Kak Long. May you be blessed and guided by Allah swt throughout your whole life.

1 comment:

Lina... said...

thanks dad..
but i think i got better pic to be posted :)
U r the best..sorry if i cannot show u how much I love u..