Friday, September 05, 2008

Pak Samad telah kembali ke Rahmatullah

A. Samad Ismail, better known as Pak Samad, passed away yesterday, 4 September 2008 after being hospitalized for a few days. I've been following his condition from Nuraina's blog. I do not know the man as I have no occasion to meet him but I've been reading about him quiet a bit. Just from reading about him I cannot but feel in awe of the man. The country has lost a great son.

I managed to join the congregation at Kolej Islam's mosque for Friday prayers and thereafter the jenazah prayers. Alhamdullillah, the jenazah prayers attracted a large crowd. Even the PM was there. I also saw Pak Samad's friend Dr Syed Husin Ali. At the car park I saw an official car from the Singapore embassy. I think SIngapore's presence was appropriate. After all Pak Samad was a founding member of PAP together with Lee Kuan Yew.

I hope I could read more about the man soon. I really like to know more about how Pak Samad was roped in together with the 2 Dollahs into the ISA in the 70s. Pak Samad, a communist? How convenient. Reading Nuraina's bolg entries in her "Tuesdays with Bapak" series really whet my appetite on this subject. I would also like to read about first hand experiences from journalists who have been trained by Pak Samad in NST or Berita Harian.

Al-Fatihah. May Pak Samad's soul be grouped with those who are enlightened.

No comments: