Thursday, April 08, 2010

A Date with the Doctor

I had a date with the Doctor today, six months after my last date. I must say I have been in pretty good shape the past few months. I was quite excited to go to this appointment for one main reason - I wanted to know how I fare after not taking my medication as instructed by my doctor.

Just before my last appointment the doctor tried me on a few drugs to take care of my cholesterol problem. Actually my cholesterol level is not high, it is just that my "good cholesterol" level is too low. The drugs tested seemed to do a good job on me and I was put on a permanent dose. However, I later read that this drug had some side effects, so I decided not to continue after 2 months.

So today was D-Day for me to see what happened.

I had fasted so that I could take the blood test. My appointment was at 10:45 but I was at the hospital at 10:00 to take the blood tests. As usual, the lab was full of people and I only managed to do my tests at 10:30, no way the doctor an get the results by 10:45. So, after the tests I had my breakfast.

I met the doctor at around 11:30am.

Doctor: Have you been taking your medication?
Me: Yes Doc, however only for my BP i.e. Norvasc
Doc: What about for your cholesterol?
Me: I stopped after 2 months
Doc: Why?
Me: I read there is side effects for taking the medication
Doc: Of course there is side effects but there is also side effects if you do not take the medication. Let us see your results, and he proceeded looking at the results. Your BP is okay but your cholesterol is back to the previous levels. The good cholesterol is less than 1 though the bad cholesterol is not too high at 5.6. Your fats level is too high to make the other readings meaningful.
Me: Doc, is there a way I can increase the good cholesterol without taking medications?
Doc: Yes. You have to stop being a Malay
Me: ???
Doc: You see, we Malays take a lot of santan, deep fried food, eggs, salt, seafood and the rest. If you can survive on salads and boiled dishes without rice then there is no need for you to take your medication.
Me: Ok Doc. Give me my prescription.
Doc: Don't worry. I'm giving you a low dosage. I myself am taking a much higher dosage.
Me: Ok Doc
Doc: I'm only giving you 2 weeks ration. After that you go and buy them from your GP or at the pharmacies. At this hospital everything is so expensive. I'll see you in four months.
Me; Thanks Doc. Asssallamualaikum.



I paid the bill of RM360 and pick up the 2 weeks medication and resigned to the fact that I'm stuck with another two types of medication for my daily diet.

No comments: