Wednesday, July 09, 2008

PROTES (2)

The Protes event at the Kelana Jaya Stadium near my house took place as planned over the weekend. I was not there and I did not even bother to ask anyone close to me if they went. But I did read reports about it.

My take on it:
1. I do not think it achieved the objectives the Organizers had in mind.
2. It was more of a carnival than a protest
3. It was an avenue for politicians to speak. Mind you, politicians love to speak, more so when there is a crowd.
4. It created unnecessary problems to the People's Coalition (Pakatan Rakyat)
5. PAS members and supporters which normally form the bulk of these types of programs were clearly "pissed off" with the way the program was organized. I'm sure Dr. Hatta will have an earful from the other PAS leaders.

I read quite a few comments from readers of various blogs that touched on the "performance" of Carburetor Dung (what a name) and would like to state my opinion.

Quite a few people commented that PAS members look at things with a blinkered view and was intolerant to the acts of others. While I can agree to the view that one can do anything as long as they are not illegal, people must also remember that PAS members also have their "rights" of not listening to thrash. After all, the event is supposed to be a protest on the increase in fuel prices. That is why they brought their families, including children, to the event to show the government that the whole family is affected. Can any one blame them if they did not expect their children to listen to vulgar words being uttered by singers who also believe that showing their butts to the crowd is entertainment?

I know some of the PAS supporters came all the way from Kedah to support the Pakatan in voicing their disgust at the increase in fuel prices and what they saw was some long haired singers showing their butts at them and uttering foul language. Do you expect them to just keep quiet and show their tolerance?

While we are considering the rights of the singers please do not forget the rights of the PAS supporters? When we ban smoking in certain places are we not depriving smokers of their rights? But we still do it because we know there is more good than bad to our actions.

But I still think there is some good out of this. For sure there will not be another rally or protest for a while.

No comments: