Saturday, July 05, 2008

PROTES

There is going to be a BIG protest near my house tomorrow. That is what has been planned anyway. Its called Protes Sejuta Rakyat or something to that effect.

It is supposed to show the government that the rakyat is not keeping quiet about the government's decision to increase the price of petrol by 40% last month. As I wrote earlier, I'm not against the increase in petrol prices per se. In fact I support the government's efforts to reduce the subsidy on fuel prices as it creates an artificial economic scenario. Moreover, those not deserving to get the subsidy benefit the most.

So, I'm not too supportive of the protest. Anyway, I've got plans in the morning, our company is having a futsal carnival. I feel protests are only effective if they are done once in a long while. It is going to cause a lot of discomfort to bystanders and neighbourhood residents. It is also going to cost the participants of the protests dearly. It open opportunities for provocateurs to cause trouble. I know this because I attended the rallies of the Reformasi days.

Despite not attending, I'm hoping that the event will be well attended and pray that no untoward things happen to the participants and residents.

Good luck, rakyats.

No comments: